RSS Week 4

Avoid Wikipedia, warns Wikipedia chief --It can seriously damage your grades

Apparently Wikipedia is helping students fail. Yikes! I cite them, however it is with facts that I know are true --just need to back it up with a quick reference! I found this article @ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/15/wikipedia_can_damage_your_grades/
here are a few blurbs, with my comments! LOL

Supposedly the students are emailing the Wikipedia Chief, Mr. Wales. These emails say, 'Please help me. I got an F on my paper because I cited Wikipedia'" and the information turned out to be wrong, he says. But he said he has no sympathy for their plight, noting that he thinks to himself: "For God sake, you're in college; don't cite the encyclopedia," --WOW, I recommend to go to multiple sources. Can I phone as friend??

Wales didn't suggest renaming the project to something more appropriate, like "Jimbo's Big Bag of Trivia", --okay

Apparently, according to the article " Wikipedians love to blame everyone but themselves for their predicament", in large part, he's correct. Encylepedia Brtianica anyone?

What's more interesting is that Wikipedian's guardians see its new found infamy as an opportunity to forge a marketing strategy for the troubled project.
Last year criticism of the site, which is popular with teenagers and the unemployed, was met with the counter-attack that the user was being morally delinquent if they failed to correct the mistakes themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did something kind of a big. Applied for a Doctorate program @ GWU's Graduate School of Education and Human Development (GSEHD)

The Internet is my Application!

The Business Value(s) of Social Networking Sites